How Do You Know It’s Time for a New Garage Door?
Chances are, if you’re wondering if it’s time for a new garage door, then it probably is. But in case you’re not entirely sure, our team at Precision Garage Door of Houston has outlined five telltale signs that your current door is on its last panel.
If any of these indicators sound like something you’ve seen at the top of your driveway, then you might want to start seriously thinking about replacing your garage door.
It should go without saying that a broken garage door is a garage door that needs to be replaced. Not only is a damaged door a huge inconvenience, it’s also a potential safety risk to you and your family. Doors that won’t open or close or do so hazardously should be replaced to prevent accidental damage or injury.
You might be surprised to learn just how many moving parts make up your door. That means there’s a wider margin of error involved. Here are some of the most common garage door problems:
- Garage door springs: These essential pieces are what keep your door balanced, helping it to lift and lower smoothly. Over time, they’re bound to wear down or become damaged, disrupting the door’s operation.
- Openers: The opener is sort of like the heart of your garage door’s mechanical system. When it malfunctions in any way, your door won’t open or close.
- Safety eyes: The safety eyes are sensors placed on either side of your garage door. If a person or object moves into their path, the door will stop completely to prevent injury or damage. While they typically just need a good cleaning or realignment every now and then, they’re prone to malfunction, too.
- Tracks: Over time, garage door tracks may warp or move out of alignment. If this happens, your whole system will be disrupted.
Depending on the extent of the damage, you could hire Precision Garage Door to try to fix the door, but you might find that with the cost of repairs, you’re better off just getting a brand-new stylish door.
The Panels Are Sagging or Damaged
Do you remember when you got your garage door? It stood proudly at the top of your driveway, keeping your property safe and intruders at bay.
Now look at your garage door. Do you still trust it to get the job done? Gaps between the panels or panels that sag lazily are clear signs that it’s time for a replacement.
Even seemingly small blemishes in a garage door could be cause for a total repair. For example, even just a few dents in a metal door can prevent it from working. Likewise, wood doors can chip, crack, or rot over time if not properly maintained, immobilizing them.
Your Energy Bill Is Through the Roof
Over the years, garage door manufacturers have enhanced the energy-saving capabilities of their doors. Now, you can even purchase garage doors with special, state-of-the-art insulation to lock in the effects of the heating or cooling system in your home.
A high energy bill could indicate that your air conditioning is working overtime, since air is escaping through your old garage door.
Of course, temperature control isn’t the only way that upgrading to an insulated door can save you money. Reliable insulation can also lessen the strain on your home’s HVAC system, as well as offer improved soundproofing.
Precision Garage Door of Houston sells high-quality doors with two inches of insulation between two heavy steel panels. Thanks to these reinforcements, our doors are as long lasting as they are effective.
It Shows Signs of Rust
Anybody can tell you that rust isn’t good. It happens naturally to both iron and steel if they’re exposed to oxygen, especially when moisture is present (think humidity and rain). Like an infection, the rust can spread, slowly corroding the garage door.
You could try to clean the rust off using powerful industrial cleaners, but unfortunately, once the metal has corroded, it’s gone for good.
At the first signs of corrosion, be sure to contact Precision Garage Door of Houston for a convenient fix.
It’s Out of Sync with the Rest of Your Exterior Design
You have a beautiful home. The shutters get a fresh coat of paint every so often, the garden is expertly manicured, and you even power wash the deck. So, why are you holding onto that outdated garage door with the flaking lead paint?
Replacing your garage door is an excellent opportunity to add a fresh look to the outside of your home. Here are some new styles to consider:
- Traditional: Perhaps the most versatile garage door style offered, traditional doors are affordable and highly durable.
- Contemporary: These modern garage doors act as a bold centerpiece in your home’s already stylish exterior.
- Carriage house: These are the most popular garage doors in the nation. Often, they incorporate wooden frames, windows, and hardware for a more rustic look.
- Custom: Have things your way with a custom garage door. They can be personalized to fit any home style, but are best suited for Modern and European style homes.
If your garage door is completely out of touch with the style of the rest your home, it’s time to consider replacing it.
When the time comes to add a new garage door to your home, contact the team at Precision Garage Door of Houston.
The new free online HTML editor allows you to organize your HTML code.